from splinter to… Splendid

Pig Cutting Board

This cutting board turned out much cuter than I imagined it would. I must give credit where credit is due. My dad cut out the pig. I never would’ve done this good with it.

IMG_3985

I wanted something unique for my daughter to give her teacher as and end of year gift. She loves pigs so why not a pig cutting board. Everyone can use a cutting board.

I bought a 12X24 inch piece of oak at Home Depot. I believe it was about $15. You need a hard wood to make a cutting board. Maple is probably the best to work with but I chose oak.

I first used my Silhouette Cameo to make and cut my pig stencil. I cut the stencil out card stock. I then traced it onto my board. It is about 12 inches from nose to tail. At this point I had all intentions of cutting it myself but since my dad is in town  and is much better with a jigsaw than me, he cut it. He did an excellent job. Look at the detail on the pig’s hooves and tail.

IMG_3993

Then I sanded it around the edges and smoothed out a few places. Next, I treated it to make it food safe. I used Howard’s Cutting Board Oil. I bought it at the local hardware store for $10. There are other things you can use but I could get this locally. I added a total of 4 coats as the original treatment, waiting about 30 minutes between coats. I plan to give  the rest of the oil to the teacher since she will need to apply a coat every so often, depending on how often she uses it.

She is going to love it!!!!!

Visit these weekly link parties (where I share my projects) to get more great ideas:

MONDAY

Share It One More Time  ⊃

SUNDAY

DIY Sunday Showcase ⊃

Sundays at Home ⊃

That DIY Party

Silver Pennies Sundays ⊃

Get Your DIY On (First Sunday of the Month)

18 Comments

1. Carolyn

I love the cutting board!!!

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thanks!

2. lorraine

the cutting board is so cute you did a good job sanding it thanks for sharing so cool have a great day

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thank you!
      Mandy

3. Pili

The cutting board turned out really cute!! Your dad is really talented with the saw, I would have never been able to cut it so well even with ages of practice!

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thanks! Yes, he is very talented. I am so blessed to have him in so many ways.
      Mandy

4. Pingback: Great Ideas -- 16 DIY Wood Projects!

5. Cheryl

I’m sure she would love it, I do! What a wonderful gift!!

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thank You!
      Mandy

6. Terry

WOW! Love this sweet cutting board! Your dad rocks the scroll saw! If I would attempt this I think my pig may be missing a tail and maybe an ear … eek! I wish I had that talent! I hope you have an amazing day!
    Smiles!
    Terry

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Yes, my dad is pretty amazing in many ways. It definitely would not have been this good had I cut it. Thank you!

7. Lauren Bishop

I LOVE THIS!! Pigs are my favourite animal so I loved it from the start, but reading that it was a teacher gift really impressed me. I come from a family of teachers and know how much they would appreciate this thoughtful, handmade, useful gift. Really wonderful!

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thank you. Special teachers deserve special gifts.
      Mandy

8. Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage

Your cutting board is adorable. Love the pig shape! Thanks so much for sharing at Vintage Charm.

9. Emily

Love it! And the piggy details are fantastic 🙂 Thanks for linking up with Merry Monday!

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thank you!
      Mandy

10. Diana

I’m just in love with your pig, Mandy! Pinned 🙂

11. Ashleigh

This took me back to making one of these in 8th grade! Good stuff!

Thanks for sharing this on Peace, Love, Linkup! Stop by tomorrow at 6 and bring more links!
    Hope to see you there : )