from splinter to… Splendid

Stool Makeover

Footstool B&A

When I saw this foot stool it jumped out and said, “save me”. The wood was in excellent shape but it was in bad need of paint and recovering. The fabric was outdated and gross.

IMG_3471 IMG_3472

First, I took it apart. Sometimes you can reuse the foam but this one smelled pretty bad. This stool is completely new except the base/legs. I measured and cut a new sheet of plywood for the foot board. I then cut a piece of 1 inch foam to size and laid it on my board. I used a medium weave printed burlap to cover it so I first had to cover it with a plain tan fabric. Had I not done this, you would be able to see the foam through the tiny holes in the burlap. I stapled both fabrics on using my staple gun.

Then I cleaned up the legs with Lysol wipes and a rag. I decided to use Valspar “Kid’s Glove” Color to keep the stool neutral. I painted 2 coats and then waxed it with Annie Sloan Wax. I then distressed it and added another coat of wax.

The previous board was very thin and I replaced it with 1/2″ plywood so I had to use longer screws to reassemble the top to the legs. I love how it turned out.

IMG_3487 IMG_3486

Share It One More Time

SUNDAY

DIY Sunday Showcase

Sundays at Home

That DIY Party

Silver Pennies Sundays

Get Your DIY On (First Sunday of the Month)

19 Comments

1. Debrashoppeno5

I love before and afters because with paint and creativity the piece comes back to life. Your little stool looks so bright and pretty now. They are handy to have around also.

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thank you!
      Mandy

2. Terry

“splendid” indeed! Love your choices for this sweet stool! Well done! Thank you for sharing it at Making Broken Beautiful this week! It’s a pleasure to host your talent! Have a great day!
    Smiles!
    Terry

3. Tammy

You had the generic foot stool too but turned it into a little statement piece! Love, love, love the fabric. Is it blue by any chance? I have a thing for navy at the moment and could use some burlap like this 🙂

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

It is black. I believe they had some burlap with Navy at JoAnn’s though. Not certain but thinking it was navy anchors.

4. Cynthia Chilson Finger

Great rescue indeed. Love it!

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thank you!
      Mandy

5. Pamela Smith

I used that same material on a chair for my craft room! Love it! Your stool turned out so cute!

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thank you! I hope your chair is on your blog. Going to look now.

6. Dianne

The stool turned out great!

xo Dianne

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thank you!
      Mandy

7. Betsy

SO much better with a fresh coat of paint and some pretty burlap. Great save! Thank you for linking up with Talk of the Town.

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thanks!
      Mandy

8. Keri

What a pretty footstool! Love the fabric you chose to cover it! You did a wonderful job on it. Thanks for sharing at Sweet Inspiration!

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thanks Keri!
      Mandy

9. Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage

Your stool turned out really great. Love the fabric you used! Thanks so much for sharing at Vintage Charm.

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thank you!
      Mandy

10. Ashleigh

Thanks for sharing on Peace Love Link-up! And congratulations are in order because we will be featuring you in our next link up! It goes live tomorrow at 6 so grab a button and drop off anything else you might be working on! : )

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

So excited. Thank you so much for the feature. Looking forward to linking up again tomorrow at 6. Have a good Friday!!
      Mandy