from splinter to… Splendid

Wooden Tote

wood tote

This is my favorite piece from the 4 things I bought for $10 a few weeks ago. It makes me want to eat apples instead of ice cream. And, I made my own chalk paint for this one. Keep reading to learn how. This tote is not small, 15 inches. It will hold a lot of apples, oranges, magazines or anything else you want. And the apples sign is chalkboard paint so you can put anything you want in it and simply change the sign.

The first thing I did was clean it really good with Lysol Wipes. I also used a toothbrush to get in between the slats. Then I cut the little sign from MDF board using my circular saw. I painted the sign with chalkboard paint. I let the paint dry for a couple of days and then I sanded/antiqued the corners and edges. VERY IMPORTANT: always season your chalkpaint.  To do this, rub your board with the side of a piece of chalk horizontally on board and the vertically on board and then wipe it off with a dry papertowel. It is now ready to use.

Now, on to the tote. I made my own chalky finish paint for this because I already had red paint. I mixed 1/2 cup of Plaster of Paris and 1/2 cup of warm water and stirred it until the plaster was dissolved. I then added 1  1/2 cups of red latex paint. I painted 3 coats on this. Painting all the slats was a pain but the paint dries fast so it really did not take long (I think I waited about 15 min between coats). I added Annie Sloan Wax (follow directions on can) and then sanded/antiqued it and added another coat of wax. If you are not conveniently located near an Annie Sloan dealer you can use Minwax Finishing Wax from a hardware store.

I love how this turned out and I only have a few dollars in it.

image

Share It One More Time

Sweet Inspiration

Peace, Love, Linkup

The Creative Circle

15 Comments

1. handmade by amalia

Wonderful! You never want to be without apples. And they deserve a special place.
    Amalia
    xo

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thanks Amalia. Have a good weekend!

2. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

By the way, the sign is chalkboard so I can easily change what I use it for.

2. Sharon@BlueWillowHouse

Adorable redo and the apples look good too. sb

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thank you. Have a great weekend!

3. Diana Petrillo

Your tote turned out beautifully and the little chalkboard adds just the right touch. The chalk paint recipe is an added bonus 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up with Vintage Charm; we love to meet new [to us] bloggers! Welcome–

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thanks for hosting. It’s fun to share and look at what others are doing.

4. Pili

I love crates, and your tote looks amazing now! That color is great for your apples too

I would love to invite you sharing with us at our new Sweet Inspiration party, live each Friday: http://sweethings.net/sweet-inspiration-link-party-4/

Have a wonderful week!

5. Michelle Leslie

Love the vibrant red of the tote. Beautifully done!!

6. Mary-the boondocks blog

This is really special. I love the brightness of the red that you have used here. And the chalkboard black makes it all the more unique. Thank you for joining us over at Sweet Inspiration.

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thank you! I enjoyed the features and getting new ideas from all the link ups.

7. Ashleigh

Thanks for sharing on peace, love, link-up!

I’m happy to let you know that you are going to be featured on our next party which starts this friday at 6! Stop by and share anything else you might be working on!

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

Thank you! You have made my night.

8. JaneEllen

Great chalk paint to dress up your tote. Love shape/size of it. Would you mind measuring how wide/long/high it is, want to make one like yours. Would sure appreciate that info.
    I seem to love these totes and more shapes/ sizes the better. Hubs gets aggravated at me but totes are one of best sellers ever. Love that shiny bright red, so pretty and would be so attractive in many situations.
    Happy weekend

1. ninnyhauk@yahoo.com (Post author)

It is 15 long, 7 wide and 9 tall. It is bigger than it appears. I change the chalk sign to say apples, oranges, fruit, etc. It holds a lot though. And doesn’t have to be fruit. The apples just looked pretty for the picture. Thanks and good luck on your replication. Let me know how it goes.
      Mandy